Saturday, July 2, 2011

What America Means To Me

July 4th 1776, is the birthday of the United States of America. It is the birthday of liberty, freedom, and democracy as you and I know it. The Declaration of Independence was signed by men who placed their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor upon the alter of sacrifice, rather than to submit to tyranny.

Fortunately, for us and the world, the war for America's independence was bestowed a victory by a merciful Creator. Think about it.... our founding fathers, mothers, and their children thumbed their noses to the mightiest military and navy the world had ever known.... with determination, an iron will, and God's blessing did the birth of a new nation, concieved in liberty was born.

What does America mean to me?.... It means that I have the ability to chose our leaders and voice my opinions without fear of being jailed. It means that my family and I can enjoy a Sunday afternoon ice cream without fear of road side bombs. It means I can own a firearm. It means I can choose where I work, who I will marry. It means I can be a Christian, a Buddist, a Protestant, or a Catholic, or an athiest without fear of being imprisoned by a Gestapo type police force.

It means I can vote, I can petition my govt., I have freedom of and from a particular religion, I can read a privately-owned newspaper, I can assemble with others to protest my govt. without a fear of a Tiananmen Square type govt. crack down. It means that I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

In the words of the Declaration of Indepence,---"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness," .... it also means that I have the right as an American to resist domestic tyranny when the Constitution is being perverted and spat upon.

Happy Birthday, America!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment