Saturday, May 14, 2011

Just Be Yourself... It's OK

Rhiannon read me a story about a married couple who have been married for 35 years. The wife just found out her husband has been gay the whole length of their marriage. Horrible... horrible the fact that her husband lied to himself, his wife, and his family. Now everyone is devastated.

I remember my Daddy used to always say that you never can tell about people. They will do one thing in public and another behind closed doors. Over the years I have witnessed first hand what my old man was talking about. I used to be surprised and shocked about "Honorable" and "Saintly" people's shortcoming, but now I just shake my head and keep moving.

Of course people love to point fingers at Catholic priests for thier sins. But us Protestants have a few bad examples to: Jimmy Swaggart, Ray Boltz, Ted Haggard, Marvin Gorman, Jim Bakker. When Jimmy Swaggart got caught not once, but TWICE.... my Daddy did not go to church for years. We hold politicians and preachers up on a pedestal, forgetting that they are human as well and seem to be surprised when they are caught at the local motel. We hold them to a higher standard because they hold themselves to a higher standard. WHEN THESE PEOPLE ARE EXPOSED THEY HURT ALOT OF PEOPLE!!!


I am not perfect and I will never claim to be. But what you see on Saturday is what you see on Sunday. If I want a beer, I'll go to the local store to get one and not to the nearest county so no one will see me. If Rhi and I are out at a reastaurant for dinner (which is rare) and we want an adult beverage we will get one. If the local pastor walks by I will make no attempt to hide the drink. To do so would be dishonest to myself and hypocritical.

My wish is for everyone to be truthful for who they are, what they are. If people are dishonest to themselves they will not only hurt themselves, but others around them.

Be honest to yourself, your family, your friends and to God. If you do not want to be held to a higher standard, don't climb upon a pedestal. Just be yourself.... it's OK.

andthatsthewayiseeit!

No comments:

Post a Comment